Open Thank You Letter to DC Homeless Service Providers for Decreasing Homelessness

Open Thank You Letter to DC Homeless Service Providers
for Decreasing Homelessness

We’re all guilty of not saying “Thank you” often enough. I’m no exception to the rule. So, I want to take the time to thank all DC homeless service providers for all of their hard work since 2004 at decreasing homelessness in the nation’s capital. We had 8,253 homeless people that year. We’ve been through a lot of ups and downs, ins and outs together -- literally. The homeless population has gone up and down as people have gone into housing and back out. (I know someone who’s been housed about three times.) Thanks for what you do, service providers.


We had 780 less homeless people this year than we had 13 years ago when people made a 10-year plan to end DC homelessness. We’re decreasing the number of homeless people by an average of 60 people per year; but it’s a decrease nonetheless. That’s a plus -- no pun intended. Rather than complaining, we should be thankful that an average of 60 less people are homeless each year in DC. Thank you.


As I looked at the stats on the COG website, I couldn’t help but notice how much harder people have been worker year over year. In 2001 the annual report on regional homelessness was 17 pages long and the titles through 2008 each took up about a quarter of a line. From 2009 to the present, the titles take up one and one-quarter to two lines and the 2017 report is 125 pages long. The latter reports also have more graphics. Service providers are holding a lot of meetings. The reports are getting longer and prettier -- as are the DC mayors.


Sometimes Kristy Greenwalt and I agree; and, this is one such area. In mid-2014 she said, “People are working hard; but, sometimes we work hard at the wrong things”. I would thank her for saying that if she and I were communicating these days. She was right. Service providers are working hard at making longer prettier reports that better explain the excuses...err reasons for the current number of homeless people, when they should work hard at self-criticism and actually bringing the numbers down. But thank you for working hard…..at something.


I began advocating in June 2006. Through 2008 we had over 100 homeless people dying each year in DC. We’re down to 40-45 people dying homeless each year more recently. Thank you service providers for that progress -- seriously. However, I think we can agree that 40 people dying homeless is still 40 too many. But thank you for the progress. The unfortunate mathematical truth here is that the number of people dying homeless annually is two-thirds to three-fourths of the average annual decrease in homeless people -- and thus, the driver of your perceived success at ending homeless.


I’ve been advised to always end on hope. So, let me repeat that DC has decreased homelessness by an average of 60 people per year since 2004. I hope we can go from at least two-thirds of the average annual decrease being due to death and get to a place where at least two-thirds of that decrease comes from people being housed. Let’s hope. If nothing changes about how we do what we do, we WILL end DC homelessness…..by January 2142. Let’s hope.


The hope doesn’t end there. With advances in medicine and cryonics, I hope to see that day. I hope to wake up the joyous eve of the planned homeless count and sprint youthfully toward my dresser. I’ll put on my shorts and tank top before going out into the 90-degree January night, thanks to advances in global warming. This assumes that a GOP-led congress and White House don’t join the Paris Climate Accord and then do their part to reverse global warming…..with a nuclear winter or two. See, every dark cloud DOES have a silver lining…..including mushroom clouds. I hope to move vigorously through the streets of DC weeks before my 174th birthday and then return to National City Church that night so that we can celebrate the end of DC homelessness.


So, thanks again service providers for all you do. However, it’s highly advisable that you stop making five and 10-year plans and make a 125-year plan. I hope we can keep making progress. Keep your head up; and, let’s party like it’s 2142!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Come This Far By Faith: Mother of 37, Grandmother of over 50 Turns 80 Soon

DC Mayor Thinks Homeless Woman "CHOSE" To Die In Front Of Shelter

My Response To An On-line Article Disparaging My Homeless Advocacy